The 4 Pillars Of The Ideal (Traditional) Human Diet
Success leaves footprints.
One of the fastest ways to succeed in any endeavor is to look for patterns shared by those who have succeeded before us.
Dr. Cate Shanahan took this approach in writing her book Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Foods.
Dr. Cate discovered the "4 Pillars" that all ancient and traditional human diets share.
These 4 Pillars of the Human Diet are crucial for optimal health and performance.
Dr. Cate shares them in great detail, along with much more knowledge and information on this amazing episode of the Optimal Performance Podcast.
Deep Nutrition With Dr. Cate Shanahan
Dr. Cate Shanahan is the author of Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food and she's the director of the Los Angeles Lakers PRO Nutrition Program.
When Kobe Bryant tore his Achille's tendon and needed every advantage to recover for his final season, he turned to Dr. Cate and her nutritional strategies.
This interview was a blast.
Dr. Cate's enthusiasm and passion are rivaled only by her wealth of knowledge.
This episode is loaded with stories of NBA superstars, foods to avoid, historical precedent and of course...actionable nutrition tips so you can enjoy optimal mental and physical performance.
In case you're wondering, here is a sneak peek at those 4 pillars.
The 4 Pillars of the Traditional Human Diet
- Fresh (umbrella term for variety, local, and seasonal)
- Fermented & Sprouted
- Meat On Bone
**Ryan's note: You don't see organic specified because all foods used to be organic and wild-caught/pasture-raised
What You'll Learn From Dr. Cate on the OPP:
- Dr. Cate's impact on the LA Lakers, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Dwight Howard and the rest of the NBA
- The link between nutrition and health - or physical degeneration
- The 4 Pillars of the Perfect Human Diet
- Did you know...chocolate is a fermented food
- Discover Dietary Public Enemy #1 (it's NOT sugar!)
- Why Vegetable Oil is "liquid age"
- Sugar, glycation, and toxicity
- Practical tips to avoid refined vegetable oils and sugar
- The secret to living longer = reducing oxidative stress and AGEs
- Fat oxidation produces 30% less CO2 (an acid) than sugar oxidation..."exercising muscle hates acid"...being fat adapted and being active in the absence of sugar can increase our work capacity & endurance
- What the LA Lakers drink during games
- Cellulite: the cause and your solution
- How to get more of Dr. Cate and her book, Deep Nutrition
- Dr. Cate Shanahan's Top 3 tips to #LiveOptimal
Links & Resources
Weston A. Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
TIME Magazine's Retraction of their support for Ancel Key's work ("We were wrong about Saturated Fat")