Is it possible to eat too much fat on a low carb or keto plan?
How much protein and sodium do we really need each day?
Do insulin levels impact blood pressure more than sodium intake?
Do we really understand gut health as well as we think we do?
Low Carb, Paleo, and Keto nutrition expert Amy Berger answers these questions and more on this week's episode of the Optimal Performance Podcast.
Meet Amy Berger
Extremely active and proficient on Twitter, Beger's bio reads: "LCHF/keto/Paleo nutritionist & writer, procrastinating novelist. USAF veteran; rusty on sax. INTROVERT. But first, coffee.”
On this episode of the OPP we cover...
- How much protein we need (why .8g/kg is not optimal)
- Why elevated insulin is the number one cause high blood pressure (not sodium)
- How much sodium we really need
- Discover the body's natural "cutoff point" for protein, salt, and fat - such a point does not exist for carbohydrates
- Alzheimer's = energy crisis in the brain (glucose intolerance); "diabetes of the brain"
- Amy's thoughts on the zero-carb, meat and water only "Carnivore Diet"
- Rethinking gut health, minerals, and phytonutrients
Listen to the show here
Links & Resources
The Alzheimer's Antidote - by Amy Berger
The Salt Fix - by James DiNicolantonio
Shawn Baker MD & the Carnivore Diet
Smith Meadows Farm (pasture-raised meats in Northern Virginia/DC area)